Who Needs to Enroll?
A person who wishes to seek employment as:
- A child care provider who is required to be enrolled in the Central Background Registry by any state agency.
- The owner, operator, employee or volunteer of a certified, registered or otherwise regulated child care facility that is subject to the jurisdiction of the Early Learning Division Office of Child Care.
- The operator or an employee of an Oregon pre-kindergarten program or parent-as-teacher program under ORS 329.170 to 329.200.
- The operator or an employee of a federal Head Start Program regulated by the United States Department of Health and Human Services.
- A contractor or an employee of the contractor who provides early childhood special education or early intervention services pursuant to ORS 343.455 to 343.534.
- An individual in any of the above facilities or programs who may have unsupervised contact with children.
- An employee of the Early Learning Division Office of Child Care.
- A designated employee or volunteer of a Metro service district.
There are two ways to enroll in the Central Background Registry. Apply online OR print, complete and mail application.
To apply online, you must meet the following criteria:
- You must be the individual applying for enrollment.
- You must be 18 years of age or within six weeks of turning 18 to apply online.
To ensure your application is fully processed before your 18th birthday, you may submit your application 90 days prior to your 18th birthday by completing the print application and mailing it in.
- You must have a Social Security Number to apply online. If you do not have a Social Security Number, please complete an application form and mail it in.
The information you will need to complete the application online:
- If you have a driver’s license or DMV-issued ID number, please include it on your application.
- If you are currently working for a licensed child care facility or Head Start program, the following information is required:
- facility license number
- facility name
- facility address
- facility phone number
- If you have any convictions or have been cited for a crime that has not been resolved, you will need the following information to complete the online application:
- date of the crime (month and year)
- what the crime was
- circumstances surrounding crime
- information about legal or court proceedings
- description of any personal changes you have made to address the issues that led to the crime