The Early Learning Division and the Early Learning System Initiative at ODU have partnered to offer a new resource for professional coaching. After nearly a year of development, these six coaching competencies reflect the high-quality, effective skills and practices that coaches supporting coachees (i.e., early educators) should embody in this system.
The Oregon Coaching Competencies:
- Use strategies to support culturally responsive coaching
- Use strategies to build collaborative partnerships
- Apply adult learning principles
- Use data to develop coaching goals
- Observe, provide feedback, and facilitate goal-focused reflection on effective practice
- Coaching for high-quality: Developmentally appropriate, inclusive, culturally responsive, trauma-informed, and linguistically appropriate teaching practices.
Each of the six competencies begins with a short description that is followed by a list of characteristics and skills that further illustrate the description. The Oregon Coaching Competencies are available in English, Spanish, Traditional Chinese, Russian, and Vietnamese.